The faculty of Geography and Hydrometeorology had founded because of dividing of the department Geography two departments: Geography and Hydrometeorology; Geodesy, Cartography and Natural resources departments in 2019. The Department of Geography is considered one of the old departments of the Faculty of Natural Sciences. It was formed in 1948 as part of the Karakalpak State Pedagogical Institute at the Faculty of Natural Geography, as the Department of Geography and Chemistry, headed by Doctor of Chemical Sciences F.Z. Fisher. In 1953-1954 with the division of the Department of Geography and Chemistry, the Department of Geography was headed by the candidate of geographical sciences T. Nigay, in 1954-1963. the department was headed by associate professor Bem N.A., and in 1963-1976. and 1985-1992 The department was headed by Honored Teacher of Uzbekistan, Candidate of Geographical Sciences, Professor Matmuratov J. From September 1976 to December 1981, the Department of Geography was headed by Candidate of Geographical Sciences, associate professor Bekbulatov A. In 1981-1985. The department was headed by Candidate of Geographical Sciences, associate professor Allambergenov T.K.
From the 1992-1993 school year, the department of geography was divided into two: the department of physical and economic geography.
Since 1996, the Department of Physical Geography has been headed by associate professor Allambergenov T.Kh., then from 1996, Candidate of Geographical Sciences, P. Reymov. The Chair of Economic Geography until 1997 was headed by associate professor Umarov E.K.
In the 1997-1998 school year, the departments of physical and economic geography were merged and headed the department from 1998 to 2009, he was in charge of associate professor P. Reimov. From 2009-2015 head of associate professor G. Khodjaeva, and from 2015-2019 headed by candidate of geographical sciences, associate professor Yembergenov N.
Currently, the department has 20 teachers, including 2 doctors of science, 5 PhDs, associate professor, 2 senior lecturers, 11 assistants.